A. Introduction - Welcome as a member of ACSHA, Inc.
The purpose of the briefing is to:
- To familiarize you with the safety rules and range regulations.
- To familiarize you with range facilities and ACSHA events.
- To answer questions.
B. Safety Rules
- Treat all guns as always loaded. No exceptions.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Keep your fingers off the trigger until the sights are on target.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. DO NOT SHOOT OVER THE BERMS! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS!
- Hearing and eye protection are mandatory.
C. Range Regulations
- The range is open to members and invited guests from 9 AM - dark Monday through Sunday. During scheduled matches/events, open shooting is prohibited. Rifle calibers are only allowed on the rifle range. Handgun calibers may use any range.
- Display your membership badge when on the club property and not participating in scheduled events.
- Members may bring non-members to the range only twice. A member must accompany non-members. Non-members must sign a liability waiver in order to use the range or be on the range while others are using firearms. These waivers are located in the rear corner of the clubhouse, under the bulletin board, in a black tray. Please leave signed waivers in the lower tray.
- Absolutely no shooting of glass or other material that would cause litter or injury. No metal targets may be used unless approved by one of our Range Masters (Don Roth or Todd Fritz).
- Alcoholic beverage consumption is prohibited prior to and during shooting.
- Obtain verbal clearance from other shooters before shooting or going down range.
- Any legally owned firearm (see machine gun policy – underlined below) may be used on the club range. Keep all guns pointed below the berm crest with the exception of shotguns using birdshot #4 or smaller in lead or T size or smaller in steel. Please consult with officers concerning status of machine gun policy. Once machine guns are permitted again, use of machine guns on Association ranges shall be limited to members in good standing who have, at a minimum, satisfactorily completed a range safety course offered by a National Firearms Association certified range officer or similar educational experience. Guests shall not be permitted to operate machine guns on Association ranges.
- ALL TARGETS are to be placed no higher than 2/3 the height of the berms (do not place targets on top of the berms or the berms). ALL TARGETS are to be placed within 10 feet of the berm (if you want to shoot at 50 yards on the rifle range, put the target at the base of the berm and back up 50 yards, do not place the target half way down the range from the bench). It is recommended that individuals shooting at hard targets with handguns put them at least 10 yards away.
- Shooters must be alert to the possibility that non-shooters may be engaging in activities (archery, fishing, etc.) in the wooded areas behind the berms. Members using club facilities behind the berm must display the” No Shooting” sign located in front of the range bulletin board. Shooting is prohibited when individuals are behind the berm.
- Upon completion of shooting, remove targets and litter and place in trash cans.
- Members and guests are responsible for keeping the range and club facilities clean and using them in a safe and non-destructive manner.
- Hunting on club property is not allowed.
- Members may fish with barbless hooks and single hook spinners (No treble hooks). All fish caught must be released.
- Children must be under the direct supervision of an adult at all times.
- New members must attend a meeting and will be on a 30 day probationary period.
D. Club Facility Events
- The combination to the gate and clubhouse lock will be changed each year on April 1st. Dues must be paid by March 31st. Non-payment = termination of membership.
- Elections are held in December with nominations at the November meeting. Membership meetings are the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7:30 PM in the club house.
- A schedule of club events is published annually and on the website.
- A telephone (717 528-8034) is located in the club house. First aid kits are located in the club house and on the range bulletin board. While shooting, it is recommended you leave the gate open (close upon leaving) in case of emergency (so emergency vehicles can enter). Also, it is recommended you leave the clubhouse door open (close upon leaving) for quick access to a phone in case of emergency.
- Benches and picnic tables are available for member use.
- A “porta-potty” is located adjacent to the parking area.
- Please remember to lock both the clubhouse and the gate when you leave. To reset the lock on the clubhouse door (in other words, to lock it or reset it if you used the wrong combination), press the larger bar under the numbers in the keypad.
- Remember, we are a small club and need help from all of our members if we are to be successful. Please help out with lottery calendar sales, maintenance, lawn care, trash burning and club work days if possible. PICK UP BRASS AND SHOTGUN HULLS, VIOLATION OF THIS RULE MAY RESULT IN SUSPENSION.
E. Range Use Policy (outside groups)
- Unless otherwise approved by a unanimous vote of all members at any club meeting (on a case by case basis):
Subsection A does not apply to outside groups composed of club members or to club events open to the public, such as action shoots.
To reserve a range (get range priority) for any event (club or outside group), the club needs 45 days advance notice.
- At least one person in the outside group has to be a club member.
- A member must be present during the entire event and act as range officer.
- The use charge is $10 per non-club member per day.
- ACSHA must be added as an additional insured on the outside group's insurance policy.
F. Website and E-mail
- Our schedule and other information is available on our website (www.acsha.com).
- The club's e-mail address (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) is a great way to communicate with club officers, etc. If you would like to be included on our "action shoot" e-mail list, send us a quick e-mail.
- The "action shoot" e-mail list is not limited to club members. If you have friends who might be interested in our action shoots, just drop us an e-mail.
If you observe any member or guest violating our safety rules, including shooting/ricochet over the berms, please note the make and model of their car as well as the license plate number. AFTER you have recorded the license plate of their car, please approach them and ask them to observe our safety rules. Report any violations to club officers. Any individual caught violating club rules will be subject to discipline as outlined in our by-laws. In addition, if appropriate, law enforcement authorities may also be notified.