The Adams County Sport Handgunners Association (ACSHA) offers the National Rifle Association's Basic Pistol Course. Our NRA certified instructors will teach you the basics of handgun safety, care,operation and marksmanship. It's a great way to introduce new shooters to handguns and a refresher course for those of you who haven't picked up a gun in a while.
The course runs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a Saturday and a Sunday (see schedule below). There will be both classroom instruction and time on the range. A 10 minute break is scheduled at the end of every hour to give class participants a chance to relax, go to the bathroom, grab a snack or just socialize. Class size is limited so instructors have a chance to work closely with each shooter.
Course participants will need to bring: eye and ear protection (we have disposable ear plugs at the ACSHA clubhouse), a handgun, at least 50 rounds of ammunition for that handgun (100 is preferable), a pen or pencil, and notebook paper. (Please contact the ACSHA if any of the above presents a problem.) While not required, it is also helpful if participants bring: the owner's manual for their handgun, a holster for their handgun (inside waistband, strong side hip, fanny pack, etc.), and speedloaders, speed strips or extra magazines. For the “Ladies Only” Basic Pistol Course, 22lr ammunition and the use of 22lr pistols is provided by the instructors.
Participants will receive the NRA Basic Pistol Student Book and Packet and various additional NRA materials on gun safety, etc. Donuts and coffee will be provided each morning. Participants will also get to take home their targets (to brag to friends and neighbors). The cost of the course is $50.00 for each participant. This covers instructional materials, the previously mentioned donuts and coffee, targets and range expenses. Any excess funds go to the ACSHA for range improvements.
Please note the following general rules:
- You do not have to be a member of the ACSHA to sign up for the course.
- In order to participate you must be able to legally own and possess a handgun.
- No live ammunition will be allowed in the classroom (for your safety and ours).
- An instructor will check guns at the door to make sure they are not loaded.
- Since class materials must be ordered beforehand, first paid is first served (the only way to ensure your spot in the course is to pay the $50.00 fee) and refunds will only be available if another participant takes your place.
- All participants will be required to sign a liability waiver.
- If the weather on the 2nd day of the course (Sunday) is inclement and prevents use of the range, all range work will be postponed until the following Saturday.
- Dress comfortably and bring a jacket for the range.
- You might want to bring a ball cap if it's going to be a sunny day.
- Wear shoes that can get a bit muddy (the ground of our pistol ranges are covered with stone, but it might get a little messy walking out to the range).
- Feel free to bring your own sandwiches, snack items, etc.
Based on our instructors’ firearms experience and knowledge, we would recommend any of the following makes/models of firearms for use in our courses:
If your handgun manufacturer is not listed or you have any questions or concerns about the handgun you plan to bring to a course, simply E-MAIL ACSHA.
- Smith and Wesson
- Dan Wesson
- Les Baer
- Wilson Combat
- Rock River
Due to dangerous conditions created by faulty reloads in prior courses, we require all students to bring newly manufactured ammunition (no reloaded ammunition). This is for your safety as well as the safety of our instructors.
Our goal is to ensure that all participants have an enjoyable, educational and, above all, safe experience. For more information or to obtain a course application, E-MAIL our ACSHA Training Committee.
NRA Basic Pistol Course Schedule:
Co-ed Basic Pistol Course -
Sat, June 23, 7:30am – 5:00pm, and
Sun, June 24, 7:30am – 5:00pm
Ladies Only Basic Pistol -
BASIC PISTOL NEWS REPORTS
BASIC PISTOL COURSE PHOTOS
E-MAIL Firarm Training Committee